- ISBN13: 9781554073900
- Condition: NEW
- Notes: Brand New from Publisher. No Remainder Mark.
A unique record of the history of the United States.
Throughout its history, the United States has celebrated its achievements, honored its heroes and recorded its history by issuing beautiful commemorative postage stamps. These stamps tell us about the discovery and settlement of the land; advances in transportation and communication; the wonders of the American wilderness; and the accomplishments of political, military and civic leaders who served the republic and shaped its future. Created by the United States Post Office to honor significant events and important people, these stamps offer us a unique and proud look at America's history.
An American History Album takes a look at the stories behind these miniature works of art-why they were issued and who or what they honor. Created by some of the best artists and finest engravers of their day, these stamps fashion a visual portrait of the history, values and accomplishments of the United States. Through their research for this book the authors identified more than 50 major themes of the American story that have been commemorated in stamps.
An American History Album will appeal to history buffs, stamp collectors, educators, art enthusiasts and general readers. It serves as a graphic reminder that the American dream, as crafted in the Declaration of Independence and the American Constitution, remains alive and well.
Here are just some of the stories told inside An American History Album:
- Columbus' Epic Voyage
- The Pilgrims and the Puritans
- The Louisiana Purchase
- Into the Wilderness
- The American Revolution
- The War Between the States
- Remember the Alamo
- The Settlement of the West
- The Transcontinental Railroad
- Building the Global Village
- The Great Depression
- The Second World War
- The Story of Flight
- The Cold War in America
- Putting a Man on the Moon
- The Office of the President
- Protecting the Wilderness
- The Story of the Flag
- America's Armed Forces
The themes include:
- Heritage and Values: the ideas, symbols, beliefs and institutions that make America unique
- Discovery and Exploration: how the New World was discovered and the 13 colonies were established
- Neighbor Against Neighbor: how the Revolutionary War and the War Between the States shaped the nation
- Manifest Destiny: how the pioneers pushed westward across the wilderness to reach the Pacific
- Transportation and Communication: how ships, canals, railroads, automobiles and the telegraph tied the early nation together
- The Greatest Generation: the profound effect of the Great Depression and World War II on a nation and its spirit
- These United States: a brief look at each state and the postage stamp that honors it
- The Art of the Stamp: a fascinating look at how stamp subjects are chosen and designs created
(2008101)United States, album, History, Global Village, President Protecting
history of the united states albums, the american album for united states postal stamps